News, Updates, and Resources for Who "Discovered" America?
- 2011 Oct. Eratosthenes 2009/2010: An Old Experiment in Modern Times. “Eratosthenes 2009” and “Eratosthenes 2010 America” with countries in North and South America had more than 15,000 students at more than 200 schools determine the radius of the Earth using the method that Eratosthenes employed more than 2000 years ago. The result obtained was 6290 km in 2009 and 6375 km in 2010. Projects involve history, mathematics, and astronomy to create an exciting activity with accurate scientific results.
- 2009 December. Carl
Sagan video on Eratosthenes' technique
for determining the size of the Earth.
- 2002 Feb 4. A
History Of The African-Olmecs. By Paul Barton -
raceandhistory.com. Excerpt: Over the
past year and up to today (February 3, 2002), many
great discoveries have been made that greatly enhances
information about the ancient world, particularly the
ancient African world and ancient African civilizations.
... A few miles off the coast of Cuba, what is described
as an underground set of Ruins has been found and is
being studied by scientists. In Mexico, archeologists
and scientists (see Sitchin, ancientamerican.com) have
found the most ancient calendar from Mexico dating
back to exactly 3113 years B.C. and connected with
an African civilization of ancient Mexico called the
Olmec or Xi (Shee) Civilization....
- Fall, 2001, Ancient Navigators Could Have Measured
Longitude! by Rick Sanders (Full text of
article from Fall 2001 21st Century) -- http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.com/articles/fall01/navigators/navigators.html
the year 232 B.C., Captain Rata and Navigator Maui
[under the guidance of Eratosthenes] set out with
a flotilla of ships from Egypt in an attempt to
the Earth. ...One of the navigational instruments
which Maui had with him was a strange looking "calculator"
he called a tanawa; such an instrument was known,
in 1492, as a torquetum."
- Building and Using Maui's Tanawa by
Bertram Cooper (Full text of article from Fall 2001 21st
Century) -- http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.com/articles/fall01/Tanawa/tanawa.html
- August, 1997 The Navigational Mysteries
and Fraudulent Longitudes of Christopher
Columbus -- A Lecture given to the
Society for the History of Discoveries
and the Haklyut Society by Keith A. Pickering http://www1.minn.net/~keithp/shd973.htm
- Celestial Navigation http://www.amtsgym-sdbg.dk/as/rw/seaandsp.htm
Books and Magazine Articles
- Barton, Paul Alfred, A
History of the African-Olmecs: Black Civilizations
of America from Prehistoric Times to the Present Era.
- Sep-Oct 2002. Flattening
the Earth, by Jeffrey Burton Russell, Mercury Magazine,
pp. 34-38. Contrary to popular folklore, medieval Europeans
knew Earth was a sphere, and, with the notable exception
of Christopher Columbus, most had a pretty good idea
of its true size.
- Trefil, James, Rounding the Earth; Astronomy
Magazine, August 2000, pp. 38-44. Centuries before Columbus,
ancient astronomers percieved graceful curvatures in
Micronesian and Polynesian Wayfinding